Episode: Lust for Puppets
Segment Summary: Mario and Luigi stumble into the violent world of "Grand Theft Auto."
- This segment is a mashup of Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros. and Grand Theft Auto.
- Yoshi drives into Raccoon City, a prominent setting of the Resident Evil games.
- Mario uses the phrase "Pimped out ride", a reference to TV's Pimp My Ride.
- Mario running over pedestrians for coins is a parody of the film Death Race 2000.
Trivia / Info:
- Mario, Luigi and Yoshi all initially drive their go-karts from Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64.
- In addition, Mario and Luigi's "pimped out" car loosely resembles Wario and Waluigi's car from Mario Kart: Double Dash.
- Mario and Luigi end up in Vice City (Based on 1980s Miami, Florida), the setting of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. The segment replicates several features from the series, including the five-star "Wanted" meter.
- The sign that reads "Raccoon City" has the words "Residents: Evil" underneath it. An obvious reference to the series' title.
- The way Mario collapses while dying, as well as the camera rising over the corpses of Mario and Luigi before fading is very similar to the game over sequence of the GTA games in which a similar process occurs with the player character and the word "Wasted" appears.
Goofs / Nitpicks:
- It is to be noticed that, as the brothers rampage through the city, their wanted level only rises to five stars, but in every Grand Theft Auto besides the first Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto V, the maximum wanted level is actually six stars.
- The setting resembles more Liberty City from GTA III, GTA: Liberty City Stories and GTA IV than Vice City.
- Mario and Luigi have four fingers in this segment, while in the games they have five, except for the CD-i spin-off game Hotel Mario.
- Yoshi's mouth is on his nose.
- Despite being devoured by zombies, Yoshi's head isn't mutilated after being torn off.
- In the shot of Mario after the helicopter crashes into the building and explodes, if you look closely, Luigi's arm is broken.
- When Mario and Luigi's "pimped out" car lifts on its wheels, clay can be seen underneath it.
Transcription - Interpretations
Mouse Kamikaze - Previous Segment